The Ukrainian Theatre Festival and Award «GRA» («Great Real Art») has been founded by the National Union of Theatre Workers of Ukraine.
The main goal of the Festival is to bring all theatres of the country together and to present their best achievements to Ukraine and the international community, to promote the national scenic art in all its genres, styles and forms, to identify the key trends, and to encourage the development of the competitive environment in the Ukrainian theatre.
Festival and Award «GRA» is held on a competitive basis once a year, based on the results of the past calendar year, and presumes participation of professional theatre companies of all forms of ownership without exception (state, municipal, private, etc.).
Every theatre could nominate for the prize ONLY ONE of its premieres released during the year at its own choice, in accordance with the principle: «one applicant – one application».
The participants will be selected in several stages:
Stage 1 – the Expert Board draws up the long list of the participants on the basis of the applications filed by theatres.
Stage 2 – after live review of the performances from the long list, the Expert Board makes a short list consisting of 12 performances (2 performances in each nomination).
Stage 3 – performance of the plays in the city of Kyiv and selection of the winners by the International Jury.
The theatre company that has the winning performance on its repertoire will get the Laureate Diploma and a money prize for implementation of a new artistic project.
Winners of the Festival will get prizes in six separate nominations:
- For the best drama performance;
- For the best performance for children;
- For the best musical play in the genre of opera/operetta/musical;
- For the best choreography/ballet/plastic performance;
- For the best chamber performance (up to 150 spectators);
- For the best experimental performance (at the juncture of scenic and artistic genres). Performances in the puppet/animation format may be nominated and get awards in all nominations.