24 of Europe’s finest arts festivals selected EFFE Laureates 2019-2020
The European Festivals Association (EFA) and the EFFE International Jury chaired by Sir Jonathan Mills (former director of the Edinburgh International Festival) is pleased to announce the 24 EFFE Laureates that are in the running for the EFFE Awards 2019-2020. This biennial prize celebrates arts festivals that demonstrate artistic excellence and at the same time have a strong impact on the local and regional development of cultural cooperation. EFFE – Europe for Festivals, Festivals for Europe is initiated by the European Festivals Association (EFA) and supported by the European Commission.
The winners will be presented during the EFFE Awards Ceremony in BOZAR, Center for Fine Arts Brussels on 26 September 2019.
EFA President Jan Briers is delighted to see that the EFFE Laureates 2019-2020 represent Europe’s diverse cultural scene and different disciplines from digital arts to opera. These festivals were selected from a list of 715 festivals with the EFFE Label which stands for festivals that are committed to the arts, their communities and demonstrate openness to the world. They are all presented together with more than 2000 festivals on FestivalFinder.eu, the interactive search tool for arts festivals in Europe.
Along with the decision of the EFFE International Jury on the EFFE Laureates, the European Festivals Association is glad to announce EFFE’s Audience Choice. The online voting is now open on FestivalFinder.eu and allows audiences from all over the world until the EFFE Awards Ceremony on 26 September to cast their vote for their favourite festival from amongst the EFFE Laureates. Throughout the summer, a weekly in-depth article will present the 24 EFFE Laureates.
The EFFE Laureates 2019-2020 are (in alphabetical order):
- Afropolitan Festival, Belgium (Contemporary Dance, Digital Arts, Film, Literature)
- Ars Electronica, Austria (Digital Arts)
- Baltic Circle International Theatre Festival, Finland (Interdisciplinary, Theater)
- BBC Proms, United Kingdom (Music)
- Bergen International Festival, Norway (Music, Theater, Dance, Interdisciplinary)
- Conrad Festival, Poland (Literature)
- Dark Music Days, Iceland (Music, Interdisciplinary, Opera)
- Festival del Silenzio / Festival of Silence, Italy (Contemporary Dance, Interdisciplinary, Theater)
- Festival Deltebre Dansa, Spain (Contemporary Dance, Circus, Digital Arts, Interdisciplinary, Music)
- Festival KHAMORO, Czech Republic (Folklore and folk arts, Heritage, Literature, Music, Theater)
- Førde Traditional and World music Festival, Norway (World music)
- GAIDA Festival, Lithuania (Digital Arts, Music, Opera, Theater)
- GogolFEST - Multidisciplinary International Festival of Contemporary Art, Ukraine (Interdisciplinary, Literature, Music, Theater, Contemporary Dance)
- HIGH FEST International Performing Arts Festival, Armenia (Theater, Contemporary Dance, Circus, Interdisciplinary, Street Art)
- Jazz'n Chişinău International Festival, Moldova (Jazz music)
- Kassel Documentary Film and Video Festival, Germany (Digital Arts, Film)
- Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival, Finland (Classical music)
- Maggio Musicale Fiorentino, Italy (Music, Opera)
- Mother Tongues Festival, Ireland (Architecture, Circus, Film, Interdisciplinary)
- Music Biennale Zagreb, Croatia (Music)
- Prague Spring Festival, Czech Republic (Classical Music, Jazz)
- Varna Summer International Music Festival, Bulgaria (Ballet, Contemporary Dance, Interdisciplinary, Music, Opera)
- Vukovar Film Festival - Danube Region Film Festival, Croatia (Film)
- Welcome to The Village, Netherlands (Music, Interdisciplinary, Literature, Theater, Sculptures)
Note: This list represents a selection of those festivals that have signed up for the EFFE Label 2019-2020. It goes without saying that there are hundreds and thousands of festivals committing to the arts, our communities and to Europe’s responsibility in the world. Festivals ready to join can register on FestivalFinder.eu and apply for the EFFE Label. Festivals connected to EFFE International Jury Members are excluded from the nomination.
FestivalFinder.eu: Behind the scene
Festivals play an important role in entertainment and cultural services. To better understand the festival world, we will take you behind the scene to explore some of the main characteristics of festivals registered on FestivalFinder.eu and our EFFE Labels.
Extension of the EFFE Label
2020 has been a surprising and moving year for everyone. It has hit the sector, artists, festivals, hard, to the extend of substantial personal and organisational loss. In this context, we have decided to extend the EFFE Label 2019-2020 to 2021.