World Music Day
Every year on 21 June, we celebrate World Music Day. In 1982 in France a major survey on cultural practices was carried out by the Ministry of Culture’s studies and research department. This survey revealed that five million people played a musical instrument, whereas the musical events organised up until then had only concerned a minority of French people. As a result of this survey, Jack Lang, Christian Dupavillon and Maurice Fleuret deduced that the landscape of musical practice in France remained to be discovered. So they imagined a major popular event that would allow all musicians to express themselves and make themselves known. Thus the first "Fête de la Musique" was launched on 21 June 1982, the symbolic day of the summer solstice, the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere.
For this occasion, we have highlighted some festivals dedicated to music present on FestivalFinder.eu. Have a look at them and enjoy a wonderful day full of music!
Varna Summer International Music Festival
26/06/2021 - 11/10/2021
In 2021 Varna Summer International Music Festival celebrates 95 years anniversary from its establishment as the first music festival in Bulgaria, founded in 1926 in the city of Varna.
Almost 100 years ago, just after the official opening of the Varna’s Sea Baths in 1926 - the first SPA center in the sea town, emblematic personalities of Varna such as the composers Pancho Vladigerov and Dobri Hristov have set the beginning of the country's first music celebrations, which later became the biggest International Music Festival in Bulgaria. Having received national and international recognition, today the Festival is a representative forum of Bulgarian and world music.
FMM Sines - Festival Músicas do Mundo
01/07/2021 - 31/07/2021
FMM Sines – Festival Músicas do Mundo is a music festival held in Sines, Alentejo, South-West Portugal. Organised by the local City Council, it’s a public service, non-commercial event designed for an audience of music discoverers, who come to Sines for the quality of the programme, the spectacular venues and a spirit regarded as unique among Portuguese festivals. More than 3400 artists from over 110 countries and regions have already performed at Sines’ stages.
Aarhus Jazz Festival
10/07/2021 - 17/07/2021
Aarhus Jazz Festival is a popular annual festival presenting all types of jazz, whether you are looking for traditional, swing, experimental, modern or children’s jazz. In 2021, the festival plans 200-250 concerts during the week and most concerts during daytime are free of charge.
The following artists will perform this year: Claire Martin, Marc Ducret, Aarhus Jazz Orchestra, Lionel Loueke, Kullhammar/Vågan/Osgood, Christina Dahl Quartet, and many others.
International Music Festival Cesky Krumlov
16/07/2021 - 07/08/2021
International Music Festival Cesky Krumlov is a cultural event with tradition since 1992. It is the oldest summer music festival in the Czech Republic. The festival presents important Czech and foreign artists and offers a wide spectrum of music from the 15th to the 21st century. It is focused on classical music, opera, musicals, world music, jazz and folk and takes place in attractive and interesting premises of Český Krumlov and surroundings.
Festival de Chaillol
17/07/2021 - 12/08/2021
Deeply rooted in its alpine territory, the Festival de Chaillol has been animated, for 23 years now, by an exchange and itinerant spirit turned toward musical creation. Looking at the season of the festival is understanding its position regarding creation as an open-minded but accurate and demanding process. The festival has in its DNA values such as continuity with the public, the artists and composers it hosts every year but also sustainable development, which has always been a central issue.
Many other festivals programming music are running in 2021. Have a look at their programme:
- BIG BANG Festival - Adventurous Music Festival for a Young Audience
- Vilnius Festival
- Abu Dhabi Festival
- Katowice JazzArt Festival
- Maggio Musicale Fiorentino
- Geelvinck Early Piano Festival
- Festival d'Auvers-sur-Oise Opus 40th Anniversary
- Leoš Janáček International Music Festival
- World Roma Festival Khamoro
- ChopinPianoFEST Prishtina 2021
- Traiettorie 2021
- ArtLink Young Talents' Festival
- Stichting Holland Festival
- Xenios Festival The Host Festival
- Artisti in Piazza - International Performing Arts Festival - XXV edition
- Cerealia. La festa dei cereali. Cerere e il Mediterraneo
- LakeComo International Music Festival
- Season 3, Sajda Festival, UK
- Festival Estoril Lisboa
- Ural Music Night
- Festival Artes à Vila 2021
- XXIX Rapla Church Music Festival
- Båstad Kammarmusikfestival (Båstad Chamber Music Festival)
- Christopher Summer Festival
- Ljubljana Festival
- FESTIVAL LIRICO DEI TEATRI DI PIETRA: TAORMINA, SIRACUSA, TINDARI - LYRIC FESTIVAL OF SICILIAN STONE THEATERS: TAORMINA, SYRACUSE, TINDARI, etc
- Cyprus Rialto World Music Festival
- Rigas Ritmi Festival 2021
- La Notte dei Poeti - The poets' night
- Sumol Summer Fest
- Beachrockers Festival
- Rosalia Festival | Budapest
- XXXII.FORFEST ČESKÁ REPUBLIKA 2021
- Cheltenham Music Festival
- AgitÁgueda Art Festival
- Mikkeli Music Festival
- Aegean Arts International Festival
- Førde Traditional and World music Festival
- 43rd Edition of The FIMPV
- The Festival of Polish Music
- NNN (Nights iN Nora)
- Olomouc Baroque festival
- Mosel Musikfestival
- Dubrovnik Summer Festival
- Kuhmo Chamber Music Festival
- Ancient Ilida Festival
- THEATRE CITY
- The Kimito Island Music Festival
- Fejoe´s Festival 2021
- Super Bock Super Rock
- Musical evenings at St. Jerome's
- Puccini Festival
- Welcome to The Village
- Ambient'Azioni Musicali
- Lerici Music Festival
- 2021 EUROPAfest - jazz | blues | pop | classic
- Festival della Valle d'Itria
- 20° Festival Paganiniano di Carro
- ARLEMM art festival
- Riga Jurmala Music Festival
- ClassicheFORME International Chamber Music festival
Call for Youth & Festival’s Best Stories
2022 is the European Year of Youth. Young people deserve the closest attention. They have been giving so much in the last two years, putting their lives on hold in solidarity with older and more vulnerable people. We want to thank them for the way they have behaved. This is why we dedicate this call for stories to them.
Lithuanian festivals and the European Capital of Culture
More than 40 festivals, 60 exhibitions, 250 stage events, and 250 concerts. This impressive list is this year's programme within the city of Kaunas and its District, elected European Capital of Culture 2022. On this occasion, we invite you to discover with us this year's upcoming Lithuanian festivals.
Czech presidency: festivals in the spotlight
Since 1 July, the Czech Republic assumes the EU Council presidency. No need to say that it has a lot on its plate for its turn at the helm of the Council of the European Union. To go with this change, we invite you to (re)discover this summer's rich programme of Czech festivals.